Abdeh station maintains an olive germplasm collection of 72 local, regional and international varieties. In addition an olive oil laboratory provides the farmers with acidity, peroxide and delta K tests for olive oil samples. Comparative studies on the oil content and different fatty acid as well as phenolic compounds of different olive varieties are conducted in collaboration with the olive and oil department in Tal Amara. Moreover, a current field experiment studies the effect of green manure on the soil fertility under olive trees in the stations’ grove. In addition to olive, Abdeh station is planting a germplasm collection of Lebanese pomegranate varieties. In parallel, a collection of foreign varieties has been planted aiming to study the tree behavior in local conditions as well as the fruit characteristics. Finally, and in the aim of studying the suitability of Akkar soil and environmental conditions to avocado, several varieties are recently planted in a demo plot.
- Head of station: Eng. Michel Issa Al Khoury (email@example.com)
- Head of department: Eng. Faten Dandachi
- Dandachi, F., B. Hamadeh, H. Youssef , H. Chahine, L. Chalak. 2017. Diversity assessment of the Lebanese germplasm of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) by morphological and chemical traits. Annals of Agricultural Sciences, 62(1), 89-98.
- El Riachi M., A. Hamade, R. Ayoub, F. Dandachi, F. As-sadi, L. Chalak. 2018. Oil content, fatty acid and phenolic profiles of eleven olive varieties growing in Lebanon. Abstracts book of the Olive Bioteq18, Seville-Spain 15-19 October 2018.
- El Riachy M., A.Hamade, R. Ayoub, F. Dandachi, L. Chalak. 2019. Oil Content, Fatty Acid and Phenolic Profiles of Some Olive Varieties Growing in Lebanon. Front Nutr.6:94. Published 2019 Jul 4. doi:10.3389/fnut.2019.00094
- El-hajj, A., N. Nemer, S. Chhadeh, F. Dandashi, H. Yosef, M. Nasrallah, M. Houssein, V. Talj, M. Haris, Z. Moussa. 2018. Status, Distribution and Parasitism Rate of Olive Fruit Fly (Bactrocera oleae.Rossi) Natural Enemies in Lebanon. Journal of Agricultural Studies, 6(1), 246- 259.