The Plant Genetic Resources Unit was established in 2004 at the Lebanese Agricultural Research Institute (LARI, Tal Amara), as LARI is the focal point of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food andAgriculture, it is assumed to be responsible of the implementation on theTreaty components in Lebanon.
- Morphological and molecular characterization of the traditional varieties of different species and their wild relatives in order to valorize and preserve the national diversity. The main objective of this activity is to:
- Characterize the morphological and agronomical traits of the main Lebanese cultivars (grapevine, Olive, almond, peach, apricot, plum, fig, mulberry, barley, wheat,…) in order to study the inter and intra diversity between varieties. However,Morphological traits are subject to changes due to environmental factors and agricultural practices.
- Study the genetic diversity of different plant species by using different types of molecular markers like SSR, RAPD andISSR.
- Activities related to the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (ITPGRFA) :
- A draft law on the management of PGRFA in Lebanon was prepared by a working group of national stakeholders established at LARI included (Plant Genetic Resources Unit,Seed Bank…) and with the support of AOAD (ArabOrganization for Agricultural Development). This draft law included eighteen articles related to legal and administrative measures necessary to promote the conservation and sustainable use of PGRFA, facilitate access to PGRFA and ensure a fair and equitable sharing of the benefits arising out of their use.
- Update information of different networks related to PlantGenetic Resources such as WIEWS, Hortivar, Genesys, Regional Plant genetic Resources Platform and AOAD PGR Networks in order to facilitate information exchange at the national and international levels.
- Training courses for university students on evaluation and characterization of PGRFA through the collaborative program between universities and LARI
- Eng. Ali Chehade, Head of Plant Genetic Resources Unit (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fatima Ibrahim (Agricultural Technician)
- Fatima Jibawi (Agricultural Technician)
- Chéhadé A. & Chalak L, 1999. Update on Characterization of Prunus Germplasm in Bekaa Valley. CWANA Newsletter, Issue number 19, P: 5
- Chéhadé A., Elbitar A., Chalak L. (2001) Caractérisation morphologique dela diversité du genre Prunus dans la plaine de la Békaa. Magon 1: 4-17
- Chalak L., Elbitar A., Cordahi N., Hage C. & Chehade A., 2003. In vitro propagation of Capparis spinosa L. Acta horticulturae: 335-338.
- Chalak L, Elbitar A, Chéhadé A., Chamoun W., 2003. Potentiel d’enracinement in vivo et in vitro de variétés libanaises d’amandier (Prunusdulcis Miller). Lebanese science journal : 21-29.
- Chéhadé A., Chalak L., Elbitar A., Cosson P., Zanetto A., Dirlewanger E.,2005. Caractérisation préliminaire morphologique et moléculaire de clonesde cerisier cultivés au Liban (P. avium L.). Lebanese science journal, Vol. 6,No.1.
- Tannoury M., Elbitar A., Chéhadé A., Chalak L., 2005. Propagation in vitro de deux variétés hybrides de Lilium asiatique. Lebanese science journal,Vol. 6, No.1.
- Chalak L., Chehade A., Elbitar A., Cosson P., Zanetto A. Dirlewanger E.And Laigret F. (2006). Morphological and molecular characterization of peach accessions (Prunus persica L.) cultivated in Lebanon. Lebanese science journal , vol. 7, No. 2.
- Chalak L. Chehade A. and Kadri A., 2006. Morphological characterization of cultivated almonds in Lebanon. Fruits, Vol. 62 (3): 177-186.
- Chalak L., Chehade A., Kadri A., Cosson P., Zanetto A., Dirlewanger E.And Laigret F., 2006. Preliminary characterization of cultivated almonds(Prunus dulcis L.) in Lebanon by morphological traits and microsatellite markers. Biologia Tunisie, N0 4: 5-11.
- Chalak L., Perin A., Elbitar A. and Chehade A., 2007. Phenotypic diversity and morphological characterization of Capparis spinosa L. in Lebanon. Biologia tunisie, N0 4 bis, 28-32.
- Chalak L., Chehade A., Mattar E and Khadari B., 2008. Morphologicalcharacterization of fig accessions cultivated in Lebanon. Acta hort. 798,ISHS 2008.
- L. Chalak, H. Achtak, A. Chehade, A. Elbitar, S. Santoni and B. Khadari,2009. Genetic structure of spontaneous and cultivated fig in Lebanon indicating a local selection. Fourth International Symposium on Fig.Meknes, September 29-October 3, 2009.
- Lamis ChalaK, Toufic Elbeaino, Ahmad Elbitar, Ali Chehade, Tala Fattaland Elia Choueiri, 2009. Attempts to virus-free production of Lebanese Fig varieties by tissue culture. Fourth International Symposium on Fig. Meknes,September 29-October 3, 2009.
- Ali CHEHADE, Lamis CHALAK, Ahmad ElBITAR, Anne ZANETTO andPatrick COSSON. Characterization of almond diversity in Lebanon by microsatellite markers. Primer congresso peruano de mejoramiento genéticoy biotecnologia agricola, 17-19 May, 2010, La Molina Peru: 27-29.
- Chalak L., Chehade A., Elbitar A., Hamadeh B., Youssef H., Nabbout R.,Smaha M., Haj A.K., Awada A. Bouaram G. Selman M., Bassal A., FamianiF., Dubla N. (2011). Morphological characterization of cultivated olive trees in Lebanon. Abstract, special seminars. “Olivebiotech 2011-InternationalConference for Olive Tree and Olive Products“, held in Chania, Greece, 31-4 November 2011: pp.1.
- L. Chalak, H. Haouane, B. Khadari, A. Chehade, A. Elbitar, B. Hamadeh, H.Youssef, R. Nabbout, M. Smaha, A.K. Haj and A. Bassal (2011).Assessment of the genetic diversity and structure of the Lebanese olive varieties. Abstract, special seminars. OLIVEBIOTECH 2011. The 4th International Conference for Olive tree and olive products, held in Chania,Crete, Greece. October 31st-November 4th
- A. Chehade, A. El Bittar, E Choueiri, A Kadri, R. Nabbout, H. Youssef, M.Smeha, A. Awada, Z. Al Chami, I. Cavoski, A. Trani, A. Aly, L. Piscitelli,G. Bruno, F. Caponio, G. Gambacorta, F. Famiani, D. Mondelli, E. Dubla,2012. Characterization of the main Lebanese olive germplasm. Published by the project “Social and economic support for the families of producers in the olive-growing marginal regions in Lebanon (L‘olio del Libano)“, funded by the Italian government and implemented by IAM-Bari, Italy with Ministry ofAgriculture of Lebanon (MOA) and the Lebanese Agricultural ResearchInstitute (LARI). ISBN: 2-85352-493-0. pp. 72.
- A. Chehade, A. El Bittar, E Choueiri, A Kadri, R. Nabbout, H. Youssef, M.Smeha, A. Awada, Z. Al Chami, I. Cavoski, A. Trani, A. Aly, L. Piscitelli,G. Bruno, F. Caponio, G. Gambacorta, F. Famiani, D. Mondelli, E. Dubla,2013. Varietal schemes extracted from “Characterization of the mainLebanese olive germplasm”, published by the Italian cooperation project“The National Program for the Improvement of Olive Oil’s quality and actions against the diffusion of stone fruit Phytoplasma” funded by theItalian government and implemented by the Lebanese Ministry ofAgriculture, with the Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Bari (IAMB)and the Lebanese Agricultural Research Institute (LARI).
- L. Chalak, A. El Bittar and A. Chehade, 2014. Diversity of Wild Prunus inthe Bekaa Province, Lebanon. Proc. Ist IS on Fruit Culture and ItsTraditional Knowledge along silk road countries, Acta Hort. 1032, ISHS2014: 207-213
- Ali Chehade, Ahmad ElBitar, Aline Kadri, Elia Choueiri, Rania Nabbout,Hiyam Youssef, Maha Smeha, Ali Awada, Ziad Al Chami, Eustachio Dubla,Antonio Trani, Donato Mondelli and Franco Famiani, 2015. In-situevaluation of the fruit and oil characteristics of the main Lebanese olive germplasm, J.Sci.Food.Agric.
- Chehade Ali, El Bittar Ahmad, Chalak Lamis, 2015. WILD PRUNUS ASPOPTENTIAL SPECIES FOR RESTORATION IN BEKAA REGION.Poster, in International conference on Ecological Restoration in theMediterranean Region: Challenges and Opportunities, Saint JosephUniversity, Beirut, Lebanon, 14-16 October 2015.
- Chehade Ali, 2015. Reporting format for monitoring the implementation ofthe Global Plan of Action for the Conservation and Sustainable Utilization of Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture in Lebanon.TCP/SNO/3401, 2015: pp:18
- Chehade Ali, 2017. Country report on the implementation of theInternational Treaty on Plant Genetic resources for Food and Agriculture(ITPGRFA). pp. 21.
- Chehade Ali and Ahmad Bitar (2017). “Crops and Plants Adapted to El Niٌoand Climate Change,” Background Paper for The Cures, Causes, andConsequences of Drought in Agricultural Lebanon
- Dorte Verner, Maximillian Ashwill, Jens Christensen, Rachael Mcdonnell, John Redwood, Ihab Jomaa, Maurice Saade, Randa Massad, Ali Chehade,Ahmad Bitar and David Treguer, 2018. Droughts and Agriculture inLebanon causes, consequences and risk management. Report world BankGroup. pp.116